Tuesday, August 23, 2011

There's a whole lotta shakin' going on!


I don't like earthquakes.  Don't like them whatsoever.  Some friends of mine are afraid of tornadoes.  Me, not so much.  You at least get somewhat of a warning with a tornado.  Predictable weather patterns can give you an indicator, etc, but with an earthquake, no warning.  Your house just starts shaking.  And moving.  The Earth isn't supposed to move.  It's supposed to stay completely still.  That keeps my world in place, literally.  In other words, EARTHQUAKES FREAK ME OUT, MAN!  I mean, the Earth can open up, people.  Open. Up.  Me no likey.

I'm sure you are aware of the quake that hit on the East Coast today.  Yeah, guess what coast I'm on? Bingo. When it happened, my mind went into hyper-drive:  what is that?  A strong wind? The house was making sounds like it was in a heavy wind storm - and moving some.  Nope, the trees aren't moving. The dryer? Nope, not the dryer. Low flying plane?  Nope, the windows aren't shaking - the house and floors are.  FREEEAK OUT!  I didn't lose it (for Julianna's sake), but I was rattled, pun intended.  What do you do in an earthquake?  Go upstairs?  Into the basement?  Bathroom?  By the time I would have decided, it was over.  It lasted less than a minute, but it seemed like time definitely slowed down.  Then it was a flurry of texts, emails, phone calls to family and friends to check well beings and try to calm down.  Yeah, right.  The calming down took hours.  I'm actually still a little jittery while posting this.  This is the second quake that has hit our area.  The first one shook me awake at 5am on a Friday morning about a year ago.  This one was much further away and much stronger.  Me no likey.

Oh, and now Hurricane Irene is headed our way this weekend.  Batten down those hatches!  The hits just keep on coming.



 

No comments: