Friday, October 1, 2010

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Uncle...Mercy...I give...you win...I'm done...yes, it's been "that" kind of day. Maybe we should only do a 4 day school week. Fridays are tough due to short nights and early mornings. Glad the weekend is in sight and Dad is on his way home from work. 'Nuff said.

I think I'm a homeschool curriculum schizophrenic. I cannot seem to find what is the perfect fit for us (especially in the high level academic pursuits (i.e. phonics) we are currently navigating) which is causing high stress in my life. I am not feeling all warm and fuzzy with the A beka phonics program. It seems like a solid program. I have heard nothing but good things about it. J is bored with it. I'm bored teaching it, but I'm not sure where to go. Should I jump ahead into the higher lessons or jump clear ahead to Grade 1? For the past couple days, I pulled lessons from The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. Yesterday was fabulouso, today, we won't talk about it. I don't want phonics/reading to be a constant fight. We just went through the -an word family, why, oh, why are you guessing at the words and coming up with -at words again?!?!?! Soooundddd it ouuuuuut! Help me, Rhonda! I need one of those clear cut, organized, pretty packaged curriculum plans for the year...or a valium, whichever is in closer proximity.

Anyhoo, our week in pictures.

We studied China this week in Geography. This is our Chinese lantern.


Our Chinese Fan - 2nd attempt. I didn't read the directions clearly, so Fan #1 was a bust. It has butterflies all over it, but they aren't very clearly seen. Bottom picture is of fan and another Chinese lantern that Julianna made for the staff at the Chinese restaurant that we will be dining at tonight to celebrate the end of our China week.



Since it's Fall, we decided to make some purty coffee filter fall leaves for a tree for our window. They really turned out great. Very tie dye-ish. I'll post pics of the finished product next week (which means it won't be put together until next week.)


Our name picture Science project which was made using magnetic letters and the sun's rays. (And a couple rocks from the flower beds to hold the paper down in the windy weather.)





No comments: