Thursday, February 28, 2013

An Attempted Murder...

Totally random post.
Yesterday, during one of my many trips out into the yard with our potty training pup, a group of crows flew over our house to roost in neighboring trees. It reminded me of one of my favorite internet memes floating around of two crows sitting on a bench with the tag line "Attempted murder". *You'll have to look it up. Sadly, I couldn't find a picture that I was able to insert. :-(* Say wha? The first time I saw it I was looking around for a half dead crow laying on the ground. The meme makes no sense at all until you realize that the collective name for a group of three or more crows is a "murder". (Yes, I had to google it for clarification.) Now that I understand what it means I find it ridiculously funny. 
My sense of humor cannot be explained. 
It did get me thinking, we all know it's a pride of lions, a school of fish, a flock of birds (which are only a flock if they are on the ground) so,what are some of the other wacky names for groups of animals? Glad you asked. Here are some of my favorites:

Congregation of alligators
Battery of barracudas
Wake of buzzards
 (I'll have to share that info with another friend who's backyard is the winter vacation spot to a group of buzzards every year.)
Sloth of bears
Caravan of camels
Army of caterpillars
Intrigue of kittens
Destruction of cats (wild)
Cast of crabs
 (Whose tasty legs, with a side of melted butter, are welcome to star on my dinner plate anytime! Yum!)
Convocation of eagles
Gaggle of geese (grounded)
Array of hedgehogs
Bloat of hippopotamuses
Cackle of hyenas
Prickle of porcupines
Rhumba of rattlesnakes
Exultation of skylarks
Knot of toads or frogs
Generation of vipers
(Name that Bible verse.)

Interesting, huh? (I think the alliteration of several is funny too.)
Here is a link to an even larger list.
So, what is your favorite animal group name?






No comments: