Friday, January 28, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

I read that we make thousands upon thousands of decisions every day...both voluntary and involuntary.  That's amazing.  No wonder we need to sleep at night...or drink coffee.

We were having one of those days on our homeschooling frontier and I happened to hear about a private Christian school hosting an open house (uh oh), so I made an appointment and Julianna and I went for the tour.  I really liked it. (double uh oh)  Positives:  I could see the benefit of her being in a classroom...and being away from me some during the day...we don't always bring out the best in each other.  The classes were very small (only 9 currently in the Kindergarten class) and it's only 5 minutes from our house.  Plus, they have those cute little navy/khaki uniforms that all the private schools wear. Negatives:   It's pricey, so I would probably substitute teach a few days per month at my old school to offset the cost.  The curriculum  they use isn't much different than what we are using now (Abeka for Language Arts, etc.) and I would have to admit that I cannot teach my own child.  We are going for another visit next week (they are holding an evening open house, so Michael will be able to go with us) and we'll start our decision making process then.  Please help us pray for direction.  <3

    4 comments:

    Tiff said...

    We'll be praying for the right decision to be clear for you guys and that whatever it is it feels totally right. We make our education decisions on a year-by-year, child-by-child basis. It is NOT admitting that you can't teach your child if you send her. Perhaps this would just be a better fit for both of you right now. Maybe, maybe not. I don't believe there is such thing as a "correct" vs. "incorrect" way to educate kids. What's right for you guys is an individual thing. And it's not a static, permanent decision. What's right now may not be what's right next year and so forth. We've gone back and forth between classroom and homeschooling several times and I'm completely ok with that. I figure it always keeps them guessing. Haha! ;)

    Moni-Q said...

    Ditto to Tiffany. You have my support on whatever you choose. Let me know how it goes and where it is...(this said in a quiet whisper as I look over my shoulder.)

    Jessica said...

    Will be praying with you, Kelly!

    Lady Donnell said...

    I'm praying for you as well,, I know it's a tough decision!