Friday, June 24, 2011

Wherefore art thou, Mr Darcy?

Friends, this past weekend I stepped into a Jane Austin novel.  Right out of Northern Virginia and into England.
We went to visit Morven Park Mansion and Grounds in Leesburg, VA (http://www.morvenpark.org/gardens.php). It is the former home of the Govenor of Virginia (two of them, actually): Thomas Swann in the 19th century (the previous house was called Swann's Castle - artistic rendering on the site) and Westmoreland Davis in the early 1900s.  It was so beautiful.  We weren't able to go until later in the day, so we missed the tours, but it was lovely just walking around the property.  We had the grounds completely to ourselves.  There is the residence to tour, along with a carriage museum and civil war encampment.
My favorite place was the boxwood gardens.  Oh, my.  The paths were lined by these beautiful boxwood bushes.  I totally expected to see Mr Darcy come moseying out from behind one of them (yes, I did look around the corners a couple times to see if he was hiding from me. I could totally take Lizzie out...but I like her, so I hope he's with Caroline Bingley.  She's going down!  Sorry, I also love Pride and Prejudice.)
Oh, and the magnolia trees!  I . WANT . ONE!  I knew their flowers were huge (and beautiful), but I never knew how intoxicating their scent was.  I . WANT . ONE . ! Seriously, like fully matured and blooming in my yard RIGHT NOW.  I am in love and not patient.

My homeschool momma friends, I'm planning a field trip here for next year.  :) 

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow...looks like a place I'd love to visit! Love the b & w photos.

There is a dwarf magnolia you can get! I agree-they are beautiful.

Mrs. White said...

I would love to go there!!

Catherine said...

Oh, wow, it looks like it was just beautiful! thanks for sharing your photos!

I'm stopping by with the crew, and I'm a new follower. Welcome!
-Catherine

Jonathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle said...

Ironically...I've just finished reading Jane Eyre and Wurthering Heights again!

Visiting from the crew...I'm a new follower!

...danielle
www.raisinglittlerhodies.blogspot.com

Moni-Q said...

awesome photos...can't wait for the field trip.

Lori said...

I love Pride and Prejudice too and you are right, that was so like stepping out into the book. Too bad you never got to see Mr. Darcy! How enchanting and charming! If I ever get to Leesburg, I will have to check this out.

~Lori

Kym said...

I don't live very far from Leesburg, but I have never visited this place! Looks like I'll need to plan a trip there - it looks gorgeous. I'm also a huge fan of Austen, particularly Pride and Prejudice.

Kym (just started following from the crew recently)
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/kympossible